Septic Systems 101 will give you some valuable information on septic system care. A-Norton Septic Contracting class is starting. Get your pen & paper ready to take notes on septic system maintenance so you too can be Septic Educated!
- Most septic systems consist of a septic tank and disposal area or drainfield that treats your home’s wastewater and returns it back into the ground.
- Know the location of your septic system, DO NOT drive vehicles or build decks, patios, etc over the septic system.
- Your septic tank is a filter that gathers all the wastewater you generate, it needs to be cleaned and checked for proper operation at least every 2-3 years.
- Practice water conservation. Large volumes of water, especially when delivered to the septic system over short periods-flush suspended & untreated particles into the drainfield and clog it. Wash full loads of clothes or set washing machine water levels for smaller ones. Front loading machines use less water also. Scatter loads throughout the week. AVOID doing multiple back to back loads. Adjust water softeners for minimum amount of regenerating that will still give you acceptable water. If allowed: Have water softener discharge into a drywell-NOT your septic system.
- DON’T send bacteria-killing toxins down the drain. These include: Drain cleaners, antibacterial soaps, disinfectants, bleaches-whiteners, discarded prescription medicines and the worse one-paint. Paint clogs up the septic tank and drainfield.
- DON’T send anything down the drain that can’t be broken down. It will clog the drainfield. Cooking grease, cigarette butts, paint, coffee grinds and feminine products are some examples. DON’T install a garbage disposal. If you have one already, use it sparingly or disconnect it.
- DO maintain your septic tanks effluent filter (if applicable) Lack of maintenance can cause back-ups of sewage into your home or environment.
- DO maintain your septic system’s sewage pump (if applicable) Lack of preventative maintenance can cause costly repairs and/or replacement which can result in downtime or non-usage of your inside plumbing (toilets, showers, etc)
- You may get away with abusing or not cleaning your septic for a significant period of time, but trust us the end result could be expensive and inconvenient.
Keep your septic system happy & healthy. In the long run it will keep your home, property and environment healthy & working well for many years to come.
Consult with us @ A-Norton Septic Contracting for all your Septic System needs. We are a full service company that handles Septic Tank pumping & cleaning, Septic System repairs & installations, Septic Inspections & consultations/troubleshooting and Septic preventative maintenance options. We know Septic!
Remember it is the most expensive utility in your home-make it last!